Brown Baby Reads is a nonprofit organization focused on the enrichment of African-American youth and children in the areas of literacy. Our vision is to see African-American youth and children equipped with literacy, esteemed and empowered to achieve success in their lives and positively impact their world. Brown Baby Reads provides a number of resources, which includes an African-American Children’s Book Database, Articles & Research on literacy, and an interactive reading website for children titled "Cocoa Kids Read."
Our Core Beliefs Are:
- African-American children are valuable and deserve to see unique reflections of themselves and their community in what they read.
- Reading provides knowledge, creates opportunities, and changes the lives of children.
- It is imperative that African-American children see the wealth, depth, and diversity of the African-American experience in order to affirm their potential and identity.
- A generation of literate and empowered African-American young people will change the world.
- We can all have an impact—whether we are parents, teachers, community and church members, or family members. It is our responsibility to affect change to whatever measure we can.
- Parents, teachers, and other key adults are children’s greatest resource for success.
- Media has a powerful impact on children to affect motivation, establish values and priorities, and influence esteem.
What new functionality we are looking for
Our desire is to have an interactive website that is youth and adult friendly with a strong navigational structure, strong content, and relatively fast functionality.
Easy Navigation: We strive to have a website that allows easy and clear navigation so viewers can see structure. Brown Baby Reads has a lot of resources and thus wants to ensure those who visit the website do not get lost trying to find information.
Strong Content: We also want our website to have good content . It is critical for the website to have a clear message of who we are, what we do, and how people can get involved. Content can also serve as a marketing approach to get viewers to get involved.
Functionality: We would like our website to have a decent download time with minimal size in videos, images, and music. Graphics are important, but we do not want that to delay the process in viewers learning about the organization.
How the new functionality will help
Having a new website will help Brown Baby Reads have a strong presence in the tech community in telling our story about literacy for African-American Children. Because our organization is web-based with various resources and interactive programs online, it is critical that our website is fully functional in serving those who are passionate about our cause. As we promote this story on literacy, having a web presence furthermore allows us to reach to a greater audience both domestically and internationally. Within the African Diaspora, there are numerous organizations looking for African-American/Black children's books to provide for schools, educational organizations, and in families. Therefore, a new website can further extend our services and resources to a larger audience.
How our organization will use the technology
Who will use the technology
94 Messages from Supporters